RE Curriculum - Come and See
Come and See is an invitation to explore and a promise of life for everyone. What does the Come and See offer?
Come and See offers the opportunity to search, to explore, to discover and to respond; this is part of what it is to be human.
- Children - Come and See the wonder of all that is within them and beyond
- God - Offers the invitation to Come and See
- Teacher - Facilitates the opportunity for children to Come and See
Teaching and Learning of Religious Education at St. Joseph's
The teaching of Religious Education at St. Joseph's is governed by the following principles:
- Religious Education will be taught discretely and developmentally. It means a deepening of knowledge and applying it to real life.
- Children are offered ample opportunities to apply and use their knowledge and skills within cross-curricular links .
- Children engage with their own and other beliefs
- Children engage with difficult questions with meaning and purpose: this enables them to think critically about their own questions.
- To offer children a real sense of worth by belonging to a caring community and the commitment to this community as well as developing an awareness of the demands of religious commitment in everyday life.
Outcomes of Religious Education
As a school we endeavour to attain the following:
'The outcome of excellent Religious Education is religiously literate and engaged young people who have the knowledge, understanding and skills ( appropriate to their age and capacity) to reflect spiritually, and think ethically and theologically, and who are aware of the demands of religious commitment in everyday life.
Religious Education Curriculum Directory for Catholic Schools
All our children are included regardless of their age and ability. The 'Come and See' programme supports and and enables the faith experience of all children because it starts with their real life experiences and leads them to reflect upon and consider the Christian message in all its richness that we experience. We are following the teachings and indeed the actions of Our Lord. When Jesus met the Samaritan woman at the well he spoke about first about the need for water, as he asked for a drink. This enabled him to tell her about the living water - which is himself (John 4:5-42).
Central to the programme are the three basic human questions and the three Christian beliefs that are the Church's response in faith which are:
- Where do I came from? Life - Creation
- Who am I ? Dignity - Incarnation
- Why am I here? Purpose - Redemption
Themes and topics across the school
Domestic Church (family) Family
Local Church (parish and Diocese) Community
Universal Church (Worldwide Community) World
Baptism, Confirmation, Ordination Belonging
Reconciliation, Anointing of the sick Inter-relating
Advent, Christmas Loving
Lent, Easter Giving
The 'Come and See' programme is developed through three themes based on the four constitutions of the Second Vatican Council, Revelation, Church, Christian living and Sacraments.
Each of the four constitutions are gradually explored each time in greater depth. The catechism of the Catholic Church addresses the human search for meaning; God's initiative in Revelation who comes to meet us and our response to faith. This pattern guides the structure of the programme and informs the process of each topic, opened up through: Explore, Reveal and Respond.
- Within Explore - children begin to look at and focus on the experience of their own lives - concerning themselves, their relationships and the world. (This usually takes one week to complete)
- Within Reveal - The heart of the process where knowledge and understanding of the Catholic faith is revealed through the Word, in Scripture, tradition, doctrine, prayers, rites and Christian living. (This usually takes two weeks to complete)
- Within respond - This is where the learning is assimilated, celebrated and responded to in daily life. (This usually takes one week to complete)
RE 2017/2018 Overview
Example of independent prayers from children
Please click on the link below to take you to our church website.
68 Grange Park Road, Leyton
020 8539 2908
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Mass Times & Services
Saturday 6.00pm (Vigil Mass)
Sunday 8.00am, 10.00am, 12 noon & 6.00pm
Monday to Friday 8.00am & 9.30am